*THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS HAS NOW PAST
Deadline for Applications- 11th March 2015
Fee and Hours of work-
Freelance, with a contract fee for initial design work enhancing SSW’s visual identity plus 4 projects per annum. Any additional projects may be invoiced at an agreed daily rate. Please note this is tentative, SSW expect an agreeable annual contract to be developed between the successful applicant and the staff and board of SSW.
Scottish Sculpture Workshop (SSW) was established in 1979 by Sculptor Fred Bushe and is based in the rural village of Lumsden, in the North East of Scotland. The core programme of SSW is based around the facilitation of artist Residencies, the delivery of Projects and the provision of Facilities, as well as offering Open Access to workshops
SSW are looking to recruit a freelance Graphic Designer to work with us remotely and on an on-going basis, to assist with the designing of promotional material and publications. In the first instance we require the development of a new identity/ public image that will provide a clear design profile that can be used across all print and electronic communications.
Role and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will perform a wide range of duties, including but not limited to:
- Redesign of visual identity
- Management of design process for both print and digital platforms.
- Design and typesetting of publications.
- Working with and reporting to SSW’s Programme Manager.
- To work within an agreed budget and understand the cost implications when putting together different solutions.
- Ensure files are suitable for print and all content used is legal.
- Keen eye for design and visualisation.
- Excellent CS skills – particularly in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Ability to work from concept through to the finished design.
- Awareness of the printing, finishing techniques and papers and design to suit.
- Excellent typography and layout skills and be able to work from templated and non templated work as required.
- Highly organised, with a meticulous attention to detail and commitment to deadlines.
- Excellent proofreading and copywriting skills.
- Good communication skills and desire to build a strong relationship with our team.
- Passionate, proactive and self-motivated.
We are particularly interested in working with someone who is sensitive to the needs of SSW in terms of PR and Marketing and who has an awareness of SSW’s position as a rurally based Arts organisation; with both a local audience to hand, and an international profile and audience maintained mainly through print and electronic communication.
From this open call we will short-list two/ three designers and invite them to take part in a two-day Pitch Development Residency at SSW. Whilst on location they can become familiar with the organisation, its ethos, rural setting and market audience. On the final afternoon of the two-day residency, each designer will be asked to present his or her pitch to a small panel of SSW staff.
We expect that the candidates present a clear and considered pitch outlining a case study personally crafted for SSW. This should ideally contain an overview of your work and your process. However, we are keen that the brief for developing our visual identity remain open to allow for innovative approaches, and so we invite the candidates to present various options in their pitches. These could include rebranded graphics/ imagery, full designs or concept designs, examples of previous work and additional supporting case studies if necessary.
Each designer selected for the two-day Pitch Development Residency will receive a fee of £300 alongside self-catering accommodation and allowance of £75 towards travel. Successful applicants short-listed for the Pitch Development Residencies will be informed by 13th March 2015.
The Pitch Development Residencies will take place during Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th March 2015 at SSW, in Lumsden, Aberdeenshire. It is encouraged that those selected to attend the two-day residency make their travel arrangements for the days either side of these dates, in order to take full advantage of the limited time scale.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, digital portfolio or web link and a current curriculum vitae.
Please ensure that the CV and letter are no more than 3 x sides A4 each. You must also send details of at least one Referee.
Qualifications: Degree preferred, HND considered
Applications and enquiries should be directed to Yvonne Billimore, Programme Manager, Scottish Sculpture Workshop, 1 Main Street, Lumsden, Aberdeenshire, AB54 4JN, or by email to email@example.com, by 11th March 2015 at midnight.
- The deadline for applications is Midnight on Wednesday the 11thMarch 2015. We will not accept late applications.
- Successful applicants short-listed for the Pitch Development Residencies will be informed by 16th March 2015.
- Pitch Development Residencies will take place on Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th March.
The SSW website contains information about SSW’s various projects, residency programme, schools and community activities to date and as such, will provide you with a good general overview of the organisation.